Thursday, December 8, 2011

A hot segway date

John and I took full advantage of the free babysitting while Grandma and Grandpa Anthony were here over Thanksgiving.  The day before Thanksgiving, we left bright and early for the city to finally go on our segway tour (yes, the one that got rained out before).  Let me just say that it was probably one of the funnest things that I have ever done, ever.



This is me learning how to ride a segway, with our tour guide and teacher extraordinaire.  I realize that it is a picture of my backside, but I still had to include it because it sets the stage for story that comes next. 

Let me just begin by saying that riding a segway is extremely easy, almost natural.  It balances itself.  To move forward, you simply lean slighty forward, putting a small amount of pressure on your toes.  To stop, slow down, or go backward, you simply lean slightly backward, putting a small amount of pressure on your heals.  Easy peasy. 

Our teacher got us on one by one, and made sure that we had the hang of things, then we were free to ride around this small park area while he helped the rest of our group.  I got on first, had a quick 2 minute tutorial, then was off.  I made sure that I got in a position where I could stop and watch John.  He got on.  The instructor helped John stop and start and make a turn, then cut him loose.  I was waiting for John at the other end of the park, so he started down the sidewalk toward me.  Only, this is what I saw.  Not John gliding along smoothly like one should do on a segway.  No.  John would lean way forward, sending the segway shooting off down the sidewalk.  Then, because he was going way to fast, he would lean way back, nearly stopping the machine dead in its tracks, giving him the sensation that he was falling over backwards.  Because he didn't want to fall over, he would then lean way forward, sending the machine off again. 

He did this three or four times.  Then, in one last attempt to look cool, leaned clear forward, zoomed off toward me going way too fast, and went up on a curb with his right wheel, yelling "Abort! Abort!" before falling/hopping off.  Luckily, he managed to keep one hand on his segway, which was still moving forward, and prevented it from crashing.  I am still giggling almost two weeks later.


We zipped all around Millenium park, through a bunch of gardens that were still beautiful despite being nearly dead, and stopped for pictures at the famous Buckingham Fountain. 


Then we went over to the pier  and saw the Field Museum, Soldier Field, and the aquarium and warmed up with some hot chocolate.  This picture was taken just outside the aquarium, looking back at the city.  Even though we nearly froze to death, this is definately something I would do again!

No comments: