Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy Birthday to Brady

Avery woke up extra early (like 5:45 early) to make and hang this sign for Brady.
Dear Brady turned 7 the Monday before Christmas.  Seven!  Where did that one come from?  And because his birthday is always right before Christmas, I go out of my way to celebrate big so that he knows we love, love, love him.  (I could put in here how I had a little brother once who had a birthday right around Christmas, who put it into my dear, sweet, gullible parents' minds that he needed to celebrate his un-birthday in July because he got shorted with his birthday being so close to Christmas, but it was really just so he could get extra presents during the summer, which he did, but I won't go there because I love said little brother way too much).  Anyway. . .

Brady.

Brady is an old soul.  He is sweet and compassionate and oh so smart.  Where did his mind come from?  It really is amazing to watch his thought process unfold.  When he helps me with laundry, he usually ends up squeezing behind the washer to see how everything is connected and how it all works.  He can spend hours designing a Lego contraption of some sort or another, complete with moving pieces and guns, of course.  Brady is almost always the first one done with his chores in the morning, and they are always done correctly. 

He has become more adventurous with his eating, but still prefers tried and true meals like chicken noodle soup with home made french bread (although when I finally got him to try the won ton soup at Joy Yee, he instantly fell in love).  He can be the most stubborn of all of my kids when he wants to be, but that is certainly a rare occasion. 

And most of all, his spirit is so good, and willing, and teachable.  I am always finding notes or little presents that he made at school, tucked under my pillow, or on John's table next to the bed.  Special little love notes.  The other night at the Nutcracker, he leaned over to me and said "Mom, Heavenly Father is looking down right now and listening to this music, and He is happy."  Yes, Brady, you are right.

Here is how we celebrated Brady.


Opened presents first thing in the morning.



After opening this building kit, he studied the box for about 5 minutes.  Then he proceeded to tell me which pieces we needed to put together first and how the whole thing was going to work once assembled.


No more fancy cakes for these boys.  They request ice cream cake, decorated with Legos, of course. And Yummers loves to sing the birthday song now (Happi day, cha cha cha).
 After that, we loaded up in the van and headed off to Legoland.  Then we caught a dollar movie (Spy Kids 4), and then dinner at Brady's favorite, Texas Road House.  (I felt a twinge of homesickness while we were there, for our life in Texas). 

Happy, Happy Birthday Brady!  We love you!

1 comment:

Debbie Garza said...

Brady is 7. Oh my..... how DID that happen? Love you guys.