Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Skunk

Last night when I came home from driving Isaac to cub scouts, it was very dark outside.  It didn't help that our backyard neighbors were not home, and John had been putting kids to bed, so there were no house lights on.  Anyway, I was on my way from the garage to the back kitchen door, when a thought came into my head to close the back gate.  Let me just say that we never close that gate unless Yummy is outside playing.  That gate is the kids' direct access to friends and fun at our neighbor's house, and the little ones have a hard time opening the latch.  I dismissed it, and stuck the key in the door.  The thought came again to close the gate.  Okay, I thought, although I have no idea why.  It's not like it can really keep out anything or anyone.  There is no lock and the fence is only like 3 feet high.  But I walked over to the gate and latched it closed for the night. 

This morning I woke up to the most foul smelling, strong skunk stench that I have ever smelled.  A skunk was wandering around in our neighbor's backyard last night and sprayed something.  This afternoon our house still smells bad.  But it could have been worse.  I am imagining a stranded skunk, wandering around our fenced yard on a dark night, not able to get out, and spraying the first thing that he sees in the morning.  My kiddos, or me, heading out to the van to go to school.  Thank you "Still, small voice."  You saved me some smelly headache and grief.

No comments: