Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pinewood Derby and Dolls









As I am sitting here typing this, I have 8 nine-year-old girls in my living room watching "Princess Diaries," positively Avery's favorite movie.  Actually, it's a toss-up between Part 1 and Part 2 for her, but I think she has seen each one at least 20 times.  It is such a sweet, good, friendly, energetic group of girls that she has made friends with, and I am so grateful.  Two are girls from church, one is our backyard neighbor, and the rest are friends from school.

Avery wanted to have an American Girl doll party, but we were afraid that some girls may not have a doll to bring.  So we ended up changing it up a bit, and now, in addition to the girls, I have 8 dolls or stuffed animals sitting in there, pretending to eat doll size cup cakes.  For our craft, the girls decorated doll size backpacks that I made, and then filled them with doll size school supplies (miniature paint set, notebook, coloring book, pen, and folders with homework).  Then we played some crazy balloon and hula hoop games in the basement, complete with LOTS of loud screaming and squealing.  And now, after filling up on pizza and fruit, they are quietly sitting and nibbling on sweets.  It has been a fun party. 




Not to be outdone, Isaac had quite a stellar showing at the Pinewood Derby this afternoon.  Although he didn't win the race, he did get a lot of compliments on his "Jimmer" car.  Isaac did the design, sanding and painting himself, then recruited John for help on sanding the axles and wheels.  They spent all morning together, drilling, weighing, positioning wheels.  I could hear them in the basement working and it made me smile to hear John so patient and kind, and Isaac so eager.

No comments: