Monday, November 21, 2011

Brilliant Ideas in the Night

I woke up in the wee hours this morning to a little face breathing in mine.  Nathan had had a bad dream and couldn't sleep and wanted to come in bed with John and I.  Bad idea.  I have learned this over and over with our kids.  They want to squish in between us and end up monopolizing any inch of unoccupied space in our already too small queen size bed.  So I stumbled to his bottom bed of the bunk and crashed there with him.  It seemed like I had just closed my eyes when I heard this clanking sound coming from the bunk above us.  I listened for just a few minutes, just long enough for me to make a mental note that the lamp was on, before I realized that it sounded like someone was playing Legos.  It was 2:34 a.m.

Mom (half asleep):  Brady, is that you?

Brady (fully awake):  Yes Mom.

Mom:  What are you doing?

Brady:  Mom, I had this really great idea so I had to wake up and build it.

Mom:  Brady, do you know that it is the middle of the night?

Brady:  Yes, but I didn't want to forget my idea.

Isaac (also half asleep):  He builds in the middle of the night every night, Mom.

No comments: