Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sundays

Isaac announced today that he hates Sundays.  This is new.  I don't think I have ever gotten any complaints about Sundays.  He wanted to go out and ride bikes, watch football on TV, play on his laptop from school.  In short, pretty much everything that we try to discourage on Sunday.  I am discovering that he is no longer a little boy and that he has opinions of his own about what he does and doesn't want to do.   I try really hard to make Sunday a special day, not just a day of "can't" or "don't".  We make treats and play games and do fun Sunday crafts.  I let them have free reign of the LDS website and explore as much as they want, as long as they stay on that site.  Anyway, I thought we were doing okay, until this morning. 

After a very lengthy discussion with him, I discovered that it really had nothing to do with Sunday at all, and everything to do with being a growing boy, cooped up in a little house, just trying to have some quiet time to do things on his own, and always having two, or three, or four younger siblings joining in.  He is usually such an incredibly patient big brother, and so kind, but even he has his limits.  He had been trying to build Legos, and kept getting pieces stolen or broken off, and was just frustrated.   The truth of it is, while I do feel very fortunate to not be living in a cramped apartment at this point in our lives, we are still in tight quarters right now.  Isaac, Brady and Nathan share a small bedroom, lined wall to wall with bunk beds, a dresser, and shelves for their Legos.  Avery and William are a little more spread out in their room, but not much.  Neither bedrooms have space for toys, so what is left of those are downstairs in the basement, on the cold, hard, tile floor, which used to have a rug, then we had the flood. . . but I digress.  It's not ideal, but it is where we are supposed to be for now.  

This afternoon, after a wonderful Stake Conference, inspired speakers, and beautiful music, he was singing a different tune.    Like most Sunday afternoons, John played Life with the kids, while I cooked dinner. 

Things most likely heard during a game of Life:

Avery:  Yea, I have a ton of kids!

Dad:  Slow down, you're playing ahead!

Isaac:  Hey, you skipped my turn.

Nathan:  I'm gonna sue you! (Sounds a little like I'm gonna shoe you!)

Brady:  Yes!  I'm a doctor (or a lawyer) again!  I'm gonna win!

Dad:  Stop playing ahead, I can't keep track of who I paid!

Avery:  Yea, I had twin girls!

Isaac:  Wait, wait, wait, I think you skipped my turn.





John has been home for a week now, and already I can feel some of the stress of summer being worn away.  His classes start tomorrow, and recruiting and interviewing for full time positions has already begun.   I am beginning to see an end to this school thing.  Hooray!

No comments: